Before marriage, most couples spend tons of time on dates. But far too few continue to date once the rings are exchanged and “real life” sets in. In this month’s episode of the Faughn Family Podcast, we talk about some reasons why husbands and wives need to continue to court one another, then we share some tips for a memorable date.
Part I: Five Reasons Why Continuing to Date is Important for Married Couples
1. Dating gets you out of the day-to-day routine.
2. Dating connects you to earlier times in your marriage, and to the joy of courting before marriage.
3. Dating provides opportunities for deeper communication.
4. Dating gives ways to experience new things (restaurants, sports teams, etc.) together.
5. Dating shows affection, because each is giving of their time.
Part II: Five Suggestions for Making Your Dates Helpful to Your Relationship
1. Go places that allow for communication (parks, quiet restaurants, walks, etc.) often.
2. Have a budget. Even if it is a tiny budget, it is an investment in your marriage.
- Babysitting: Co-op with other couples. Start a babysitting night at your local church.
- Food: Have a picnic, or try a new dish at home.
- Other entertainment: It does not have to be expensive to be memorable! Redbox a movie, or just go for a romantic walk in the park.
3. Turn off the gadgets. Do not spend time on your date communicating with everyone else in the world.
4. Know how much each other likes or dislikes surprises vs. plans.
5. Ask questions that lead to deeper communication. Don’t just ask “yes” and “no” questions.
148 Romantic Date Night Ideas for Married Couples (TipJunkie). You may like some of these more than others, but you can’t say you have no ideas!
40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate (Kindle edition). Has some of the “deeper communication” questions we spoke about.
Our new book: Consider Jesus: The Epistle to the Hebrews
Each month, our free email newsletter deals with the same topic as our podcast. To subscribe for free and get a FREE eBook called Understanding the Love Chapter, click here.
FEEDBACK: What are your best tips for dating as a married couple on a budget? Share your best tips and memories in the comments!
Background photo from Dan Terzian on Creative Commons
All music from Kevin McLeod